Charles Fox is the founder of Fox Professional Development LLC. He has twenty-two years of experience as a lawyer in complex debt and restructuring transactions, the last fourteen as a partner at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in New York.
He is the author of Working with Contracts - What Law School Doesn't Teach You, the leading book on contract practice.
Mr. Fox played an important role in professional development while at Skadden, including conducting an annual training program for junior banking associates, and devoting significant time to the firm's annual training retreat for new lawyers. He was a member of Skadden's associate training committee from 1999 through 2005.
An adjunct professor at Pace Law School, Mr. Fox teaches a class called "Introduction to Transactional Practice."
Mr. Fox received his B.A. in English literature from Queens College in 1980, and his law degree from Rutgers Law School in 1983, where he was the managing editor of the Rutgers Law Review.
Since starting FPD in 2005, Charles Fox has provided hundreds of training programs in locations across the country and internationally, including Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Hartford, Hong Kong, London, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, Rochester, San Diego, San Francisco, Tokyo, Toronto, and Washington, D.C.
Other Speaking Engagements
- Welcome to the wonderful world of entities
New York City Bar Association, January 14, 2011
- Contract drafting workshop
Cardozo Law School, November 29, 2010
- Transactional Training: One Size Does NOT Fit All
Professional Development Consortium Conference, July 14, 2010
- Doing Deals: An in-depth look at the basics for the new corporate, securities, M&A, finance and corporate lawyer
Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, May 13-14, 2010
- Transactional Practice: An Overview
NYU Law School, February 23, 2010
- Anatomy of a Transaction
New York City Bar Association's Basic Training for Lawyers 2009
- Lecture: Real-World Contracts for First-Year Law Students
Yale Law School, 2009 and 2006
- Transactional Skills Training: All About Due Diligence
Conference: "Teaching Drafting and Transactional Skills and Beyond",
Emory University School of Law, 2008
- Getting to Know Your Client's Business
New York City Bar Association 2008
- Real Writing for Real Lawyers: Training Business Lawyers to Draft
American Bar Association annual meeting 2006
- What Junior Lawyers Need to Know About Guarantees
Practicing Law Institute 2006
- Lunch speaker at Teaching Contract Drafting conference
Northwestern University School of Law 2005
- Getting Up the Learning Curve: Five Thoughts on Training First-Year Transactional Lawyers
NALP Bulletin July 2010
- Transactional Skills Training: All About Due Diligence,
Tennessee Journal of Business Law, Summer 2009
- Working With Contracts: What Law School Doesn't Teach You
(Practicing Law Institute, 2nd ed., 2008)
- Rule of Evidence 63(1)(a): A Proposed Redraft of New Jersey's Much-Amended Rule on Prior Inconsistent Statements, 34 Rutgers Law Review 777 (1982)